I love baking just as much as I love eating baked goods.
I am always playing around with existing recipes I enjoy and trying to make them a little more healthy. Whether it is swapping applesauce for oil or honey for sugar I love playing with different variations.
Now that I have two constantly hungry toddlers, I always try to have healthy homemade options available for them. One of our favorite books right now is If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Numeroff which prompted my children’s new obsession with muffins. But as you know a store-bought muffin is about as bad as they come (but sooo damn good). So I decided to try my hand at a healthier alternative to these preservative laden muffins.
These Chocolate Banana Zucchini Muffins are WAY better than I expected. And my kids LOVE them and ask for them all the time.
- 2 cups of finely shredded zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 3/4 cup mashed very very ripe banana (about 1 and 1/2 large banana)
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 3 tablespoons of melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, whisked prior to pouring into batter
- a dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 leveled cups of flour (white or white whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tins by greasing them or lining with cupcake liners.
- Finely grate zucchini onto paper towel. Squeeze as much moisture from the zucchini as possible.
- Beat together the mashed banana, honey, coconut oil and vanilla until creamy. Add whisked eggs and beat for another couple of seconds or until incorporated.
- Next, add cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt to above mixture and mix till combined.
- While the mixer is on low, slowly add flour. Turn mixer off as soon as the flour disappears. You want to avoid over mixing.
- With a spoon or spatula fold in zucchini and mini chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool and enjoy!
You can serve these warm out of the oven or place them in the fridge for a day or two. If you want to enjoy them over the course of the next couple months I suggest sealing them in a ziplock bag, remove all air and place in freezer. When you are ready to enjoy one let it thaw over night in the fridge or place in microwave directly from freezer for about 25 seconds.